Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Vigilante's Bride by Yvonne Harris*a review



Is Her Kidnapper the Only Man Who Can Keep Her Safe?

Robbing a stagecoach on Christmas Eve and abducting a woman passenger is the last thing Luke Sullivan expected to do. He just wanted to reclaim the money stolen from his pa, but instead ended up rescuing a feisty copper-haired woman who was on her way to marry Sullivan's dangerous enemy.

Emily McCarthy doesn't take kindly to her so-called rescue. Still, she's hoping Providence will turn her situation for good, especially when it seems Luke Sullivan may just be the man of her dreams. But Luke has crossed a vicious man, a powerful rancher not used to losing, and Emily is the prize he's unwilling to sacrifice.


Price: $14.99
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0804-1
ISBN-10: 0-7642-0804-7
Dimensions: 5.5 x 8.5
Number of pages: 304
Carton Quantity: 40
Publication Date: Aug. 10
Formats: Paperback

The Author
Yvonne Harris earned a BS in Education from the University of Hartford and has taught throughout New England and the mid-Atlantic. Unofficially retired from teaching, she teaches writing at Burlington County College in southern New Jersey, where she resides. She is a three-time finalist for the Golden Heart, once for The Vigilante’s Bride, which is her debut novel.
http://www.ylharris.com/

My Review
The author wrote to me and told me this, quite interesting:

“I have a couple of things about the book that aren't generally known. For instance, it is based on fact--there really was a vigilance committee by the same name in Montana and run for Granville Stuart (a real man who became an ambassador after he got out of the cattle business in Montana.) My fictional hero ran the committee for Stuart in the story. Stuart's group makes an appearance or two in the story. They were the good guys and Stuart is known to this day as Mister Montana, the man who saved Montana.”

“The Vigilante's Bride” is Yvonne Harris' debut historical fiction novel.
Quite a fantastic start it is. A book I thoroughly enjoyed.
In 1884, Emily McCarthy, who is 18 years old, finds herself in a complicated situation. Emily has grown up in an orphanage, but now they can’t keep her anymore. So they tell Emily that she should accept a bride announcement in the paper and marry a prosperous widower, Bartholomew Axel. Emily doesn’t want to do this, but she has little choice. She will be thrown out into the street if she doesn’t.

Luke Sullivan is working on a vigilante committee to rid the West of criminals, because they don’t have any law. One of the criminal leads him to think that his father suffered the loss of their ranch when he was a young boy to Axel and that he was cheated. So, when Luke wants to try and make things even with Axel. When he over hears two men talking about taking something important to Axel Luke decides stop the stage. He finds some money, but something all together different that he even thought.

This book has it all from love, orphans, Christianity, cowboys and Indians, cattle rustling, gunfights. This is another book that I couldn’t put down. I wanted to keep reading and hated when I reached the end. Truly a fantastic book to read. So I highly recommend this book. Add it to your library. Thanks to Yvonne Harris for writing it.



Order from Bethany House

Order from Amazon

I was graciously provided a copy of The Vigilante's Bride by Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Trinity,
I am so glad to have found your blog. I love all different genres of books and most importantly Christian based books. Now that I have found your blog my collection is about to explode. Now where to start. This book sounds like a must have for my library.

Janet and Maya said...

I like historical fiction and it's high praise when you say you hated it when it ended. I know that feeling!