Sunday, October 3, 2010

The House on Malcolm Street by Leisha Kelly *a review



When tragedy steals her future, can Leah learn to trust again?
It is the autumn of 1920, and Leah Breckenridge is desperate to find a way to provide for her young daughter. After losing her husband and infant son, she is angry at God and fearful about the days ahead. Finding refuge in a boardinghouse run by her late husband's aunt, Leah begins the slow process of mending her heart.
Is it the people who surround her--or perhaps this very house--that reach into her heart with healing? As Leah finds peace tending to an abandoned garden, can she find a way to trust God with her future?
A beautifully simple story about the complexities of life, The House on Malcolm Street is a treasure.

Price: $14.99
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3328-5
ISBN-10: 0-8007-3328-2
Dimensions: 5.5 x 8.5
Number of pages: 352
Carton Quantity: 40
Publication Date: Sep. 10
Formats: Paperback


Leisha Kelly is the author of several bestselling historical fiction books, including Emma's Gift, Julia's Hope, and Katie's Dream. She has served many years on her local library board, continuing to bring good reads and educational opportunities to her community. Once a waitress, cafe manager, tutor, and EMT, Leisha is now a busy novelist and speaker who is active in the ministries of her church. She lives with her family in Illinois.
http://www.leishakelly.com/


My Review
I’ve read many of Leisha Kelly’s books, but “The House on Malcolm Street” is the best. This book is written in first person both from Leah and Josiah-the two main characters in the story. Eliza is the six-year-old daughter who is sweet, kind, always taking care of her mother.
Leah and her daughter come to live with Marigold McSweeney, {all of the women in her family have flowers as first names} an aunt of her husband's because she has nowhere else to go.
Recently Leah has lost her husband and infant son. Josiah has lost his pregnant wife years ago. They both are living at Marigold’s boarding house and at first they can’t stand to be in the same room. Marigold and her Jewish neighbor Saul are very good friends.
This book is full of tragedy, sadness, mystery, working through problems, helping others, love, finally peace. I would really recommend this book for you to read, keep and share with all of your friends. You won’t be sorry you bought it. Don’t you just love the cover? It’s a sweet, peaceful kind of look.



Order from Revell

Order from Amazon

I received my free copy from Donna Hausler from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group for my review.


4 comments:

csthankful said...

This does sound worth reading. I love a sotry that keeps me wanting to keep reading until I am finished. Sounds like this is one of those! Blessings, Connie Sue

MaureenT said...

I'll put this one on my list. Thank you for the review!

tracysbooknook.com said...

Nice review!

I thought that The House on Malcolm Street was an interesting, but heavy read. I have read several books by Leisha Kelly and enjoyed Julia’s Hope, Emma’s Gift and Katie’s Dream.

The House on Malcolm Street was not a light hearted story. The issues it deals with are heavy and make for a daunting read sometimes. Does it have a lot of meaning packed into one novel? Yes, it is likely one you won’t forget about, but it’s kind of a rainy day book, if you know what I mean.

I have also written a more in-depth review on my own site:

www.tracysbooknook.com/the-house-on-malcolm-street-by-leisha-kelly-book-review/


-Tracy

tracysbooknook.com said...

Oops!

When I said a “more in-depth review” I meant more in-depth compared to the short comment I had made.

Sorry if that was unclear.

-Tracy